Welcome To Our Website
As Senior Pastor and on behalf of the family of the First Baptist Church, I want to thank you for visiting our website. At the First Baptist Church, we believe God calls each of us to be engaged in a passionate pursuit of Jesus Christ. There is no higher calling than to seek the Lord with all your heart, and in so doing, to glorify Him. We welcome you to join us in this pursuit. The fact that Jesus died for our sins, was buried, and then rose from the grave is our fundamental belief. He lives today and stands ready to give abundant and eternal life to all those who repent of sin and place their faith in Him. We invite everyone to receive Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord.
What a joy it is to introduce you to our church! At the First Baptist Church, our doors are wide open to people from all backgrounds, regardless of where they are on their spiritual journey.
One of life’s most beautiful words is ‘family’. At the First Baptist Church, we take seriously the Bible’s teaching that Christians are the family of God and therefore brothers and sisters in Christ. As a “family of faith” we seek to worship and serve God, share the good news of the gospel message, and provide the spiritual environment necessary for the believer’s spiritual growth.
In short, you will find us to be a God centered, caring community of individuals who are excited about having the opportunity to extend to you the same love, hope and joy we have received from the Lord. We extend to you a cordial invitation to join us this coming Lord’s Day as the family meets to draw near to God through prayer, thoughtful contemporary songs, traditional hymns and inspiring relevant messages from God’s Word. After the worship service we linger over refreshments, so please take a moment to get to know us better. God bless you.
Sincerely yours in Christ,
Pastor Keith Axford
The sermon from April 26th is posted. These sermons, as well as previous sermons can be played back from the Website.
T his Week in Our Church:
- Today - Children’s Church for ages 2-11 during sermon time.All children welcome to attend. The Nursery is available for children under two.
- Wednesday, 7:00 p.m. – Midweek Service: Praise and Worship, Bible Study (topics from "The Jesus Lifestyle”) and Prayer. Please come and join us.
- Friday, 7:00 p.m. – Youth Night at the church for ages 10-18. Info: Terry & Chantal @ 656-4013; Noreen @ 656-2114
- Congratulations to Shawne and Lindon Balan on the birth of their daughter Ameryn.
- We have extra CD’s of previous sermons, free for the taking. You will find copies from 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 on a table downstairs.
- To compensate for the funds toward Christmas hampers that the WMF would have raised at the Spring Celebration, we are accepting donations. To receive a tax receipt, write your cheque to First Baptist Church of Smoky Lake/WMF and mark “Christmas Hampers” on the memo line. Or if you are donating cash, specify WMF Christmas Hampers on your offering envelop.
- To compensate for the funds toward Christmas hampers that the WMF would have raised at the Spring Celebration, there will be opportunities to make donations. Watch for details next week.
- Please contact Carol Pritchard regarding anyone in the church family facing illness, surgery or bereavement, so that we can send expressions of love and support.
- We will be making a donation to the Philippines Consolacion Baptist Church toward their feeding program and the purchase of a vehicle. If you wish to contribute, please write your cheque to First Baptist Church of Smoky Lake, and mark “Philippines” on the memo line.
- Wednesday Evenings - 7:00PM - Praise and Worship
- Sunday Mornings - 11:00AM
Children's Ministry - for ages 2-11 during service time. All children welcome to attend. The Nursery is available for children under two.
God With Us
- Latest Sermon
- Prayer Request
- Our Blog
- Our Vision
- Latest News
- Donate Online
- See Us on FaceBook
FCSS Smoky Lake
We partner with FCSS Smoky Lake in welcoming newcomers to the community. Anyone wishing to contribute promotional literature and/or gifts from his/her business, please see Michelle.
News from Cheryl and Rod Hoople
Dear Family, friends, and valued ministry partners of Rod and Cheryl Hoople,
Greetings in the strong name of Jesus Christ from the Pacific Coast of Mexico. We are pleased to report that the name of the Lord is being lifted high here, chains of addiction are being broken, orphans arc being cared for; families are being put back together, and the hopeless are finding hope through the Gospel of Jesus.
We are writing today to inform you about some happenings in the life of Rod and Cheryl and to ask you to prayerfully consider coming alongside them in prayer and financial support during this season of their lives. As you know, Rod and Cheryl are the coordinators of YUGO's Recovery Ministry. This ministry offers the world's first completely hi-lingual (English/Spanish) Celebrate Recovery program to be offered anywhere. We are extremely proud of this life giving ministry and consider it to be a vital part of YUGO's vision.
What you may not know is that due to some very serious health issues with Cheryl's mother; the Hoople family has been encouraged by YUGO Leadership to take an extended furlough from their service on the field in Mexico. YUGO Ministries believes very strongly in God's model and plan for the family. With this in mind, we have asked not only Cheryl to stay with her mom, but for Rod to stay in Canada with Cheryl as they walk together through these deep waters with their parents. During this trying time, the ministry in Mexico must continue, and will continue. Under the leadership of Rod and Cheryl, the Recovery Ministry team will carry on all of the tasks involved in keeping this amazing ministry not only surviving but thriving.
We would like to ask for your special consideration in two specific areas. First, we believe that during this time the devil will try to attack the Hoople's finances. Many times, when supporters and partners believe that missionaries are simply "home" they stop sending financial support. We can not let Satan gain a foothold in this area when the truth is that Rod and Cheryl are still working during this time, and actually need more support now due to travel costs and the higher cost of living in Canada. Please pray with us and consider not only continuing your support, but a supplementary gift to help Rod and Cheryl navigate these difficult and trying days.
Second, we believe that during this time the Hoople family could get discouraged. When a person has missions in their blood, the last thing they want is to know that their team is on the field "fighting the good fight," while they are stuck on the home front. We can not let Satan attack Rod and Cheryl in this area. Will you join me in servant prayer on their behalf, and will you make it a point to contact them by way of e-mail, phone call, or social media? As a missionary myself I can tell you that this encouragement is food for a weary soul!
I want to thardcypu for your understanding and your continued partnership with our dear brother and Sister inthriit. For the Kingdom,
Nathan Alpert (For Scott Wester, CEO and the Board of Directors of YUGO Canada) President
Click here to see more about YUGO.
Consolacion Baptist Church in the Philippines
The second floor on the church is nearly finished. What a difference we can make when we reach out to others with our offerings! Click here to see more
- May 21, 4:30 p.m. – The WMF will do a clean-up at the new building. All volunteers are welcome.
- Clothing Swap – Coming in June. Start bringing your gently-used items to the church now. For more information see Shylha.
Regularly Scheduled Worship Times:
- Wednesday Evenings - 7:00PM
- Sunday Morning at 11:00 AM, including Sunday School for the children
Current Alpha Courses:
- Watch for information coming on the Fall sessions.,
Quote of the week
"I think that our witness of life is the envelope that the message (the Gospel) goes in. An envelope helps to deliver a message somewhere. But if you don’t open up an envelope, how can you expect someone to understand the message inside it? How much good is a sealed envelope, no matter how pretty it is?" - Josh Canning - National Coordinator of Alpha for Catholics in Canada
Recent Discussion Points
Canadian bioethicist attacks conscientious objection
- by Michael Cook
- April 18, 2015
- Read the entire article - click here.
The Canadian Medical Association is digging in its heels to protect doctors’ right of conscientious objection to euthanasia and assisted suicide, which will soon become legal. In an interview with the National Post, CMA president Chris Simpson said recently, “we simply cannot accept a system that compels physicians to go against their conscience as individuals on something so profound as this.”
Don’t listen to him, warns one of Canada’s most prominent bioethicists. No doctor should have the right to conscientious objection, he says.
"The very idea that we ought to countenance conscientious objection in any profession is objectionable. Nobody forces anyone to become a professional. It is a voluntary choice. A conscientious objector in medicine is not dissimilar to a taxi driver who joins a taxi company that runs a fleet of mostly combustion engine cars and who objects on grounds of conscience to drive those cars due to environmental concerns."
Professor Schuklenk puts forward two reasons. First, medicine is a service industry and “Patients are entitled to receive uniform service delivery from health care professionals. They ought not to be subjected to today’s conscientious objection lottery.” This is a particular concern in a country as vast as Canada, where doctors may be scarce in rural areas.
Second, he regards and appeal to conscientious objection as a fig leaf to give privileged protection to practicing Christians. “Conscience clauses today are by and large a concession of special rights to Christian health care professionals, at least in secular Western democracies.”
Read discussion points, recent and previous, on our Blog page and feel free to comment
You can give a one-time or a recurring gift to First Baptist Church from this website using the services of CanadaHelps.org, just click on the icon directly below: