Welcome To Our Website
As Senior Pastor and on behalf of the family of the First Baptist Church, I want to thank you for visiting our website. At the First Baptist Church, we believe God calls each of us to be engaged in a passionate pursuit of Jesus Christ. There is no higher calling than to seek the Lord with all your heart, and in so doing, to glorify Him. We welcome you to join us in this pursuit. The fact that Jesus died for our sins, was buried, and then rose from the grave is our fundamental belief. He lives today and stands ready to give abundant and eternal life to all those who repent of sin and place their faith in Him. We invite everyone to receive Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord.
What a joy it is to introduce you to our church! At the First Baptist Church, our doors are wide open to people from all backgrounds, regardless of where they are on their spiritual journey.
One of life’s most beautiful words is ‘family’. At the First Baptist Church, we take seriously the Bible’s teaching that Christians are the family of God and therefore brothers and sisters in Christ. As a “family of faith” we seek to worship and serve God, share the good news of the gospel message, and provide the spiritual environment necessary for the believer’s spiritual growth.
In short, you will find us to be a God centered, caring community of individuals who are excited about having the opportunity to extend to you the same love, hope and joy we have received from the Lord. We extend to you a cordial invitation to join us this coming Lord’s Day as the family meets to draw near to God through prayer, thoughtful contemporary songs, traditional hymns and inspiring relevant messages from God’s Word. After the worship service we linger over refreshments, so please take a moment to get to know us better. God bless you.
Sincerely yours in Christ,
Pastor Keith Axford
The sermon from April 23rd. is posted. This sermon, as well as previous sermons, can be played back from the Website.
This Week in Our Church:
- Tuesday, 7:00 p.m. – Women’s Ministry Fellowship at the church. All ladies are welcome to attend.
- Wednesday, 7:00 p.m. – Midweek Service: Praise, Prayer and Bible Study. Please join us.
Please also Note:
- George Nylan is registered with the CRA Community Voluntary Income Tax Program. He is offering free income tax preparation for seniors, students and lower-income individuals.780 656 0551
- The library is OPEN, with some new books and movies!
- We have a new sign-out book. Please read the instructions on the first page.
- Parents will sign out books or movies for their children.
- Returns are to be placed in the big blue containers.
- Donations are still welcome.
- Many thanks to Shylha Brodyk for heading up this project.
- Help yourself to the free books, literature and kits in the corner near the nursery.
- The Smoky Lake Food Bank needs canned fruits and vegetables, and peanut butter. You may leave your donations in the entry.
- The annual Clothing Swap will be held in a few months. Please start bringing your donations of clothing, footwear and accessories.
- The Spring issue of Northern Lights is on the entry table. Help yourself to a copy.
- Do you have a vacuum cleaner you’re not using? The church’s central vac system is not working, and until it is repaired, the donation or loan of a machine would be greatly appreciated. See Maria or Sharon.
- Wednesday Evenings - 7:00PM
- Sunday Mornings - 11:00AM
Children's Ministry - for ages 2-11 during service time. All children welcome to attend. The Nursery is available for children under two.
- Latest Sermon
- Our Blog
- Our Vision
- Latest News
- Donate Online
- FaceBookType in Smoky Lake Baptist
Our New Church Building
Here are two video presentations:
- Our Old Church - a view of our current building with a few video clips of a Sunday morning and pictures of the clutter and lack of space
- Our New Church - Our vision for the future
FCSS Smoky Lake
We partner with FCSS Smoky Lake in welcoming newcomers to the community. Anyone wishing to contribute promotional literature and/or gifts from his/her business, please see Michelle.
News from Cheryl and Rod Hoople
Click here to download pledge form and donate now
Consolacion Baptist Church in the Philippines
The second floor on the church is nearly finished. What a difference we can make when we reach out to others with our offerings! Click here to see more
You can give a one-time or a recurring gift to First Baptist Church from this website using the services of CanadaHelps.org or PayPal, just click on your choice of icon directly below:
- Saturday, May 12, 1:00-4:00 p.m. – The WMF will be hosting a Mother’s Day Tea at the church for all women in the community. Donations will be given to a charity.
Regularly Scheduled Worship Times:
- Wednesday Evenings - 7:00PM
- Sunday Morning at 11:00 AM, including Sunday School for the children
Church Family Notices
- Watch for postings of importance in this space
Quote of the week
"I freed a thousand slaves. I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves." - Harriet Tubman
Recent Discussion Points
A visit to a baby market in Brussels
A donor-conceived Belgian woman visits a fair for same-sex couples who want to be dads
Oct. 4, 2016 - Stephanie Raeymaekers
BRUSSELS -- For the second time around a surrogacy fair organised by the American company Men Having Babies landed on Belgian soil. This time it took place in a slightly more upscale venue. The ground floor at The Brussels Hilton became a stage where 220 potential customers from 12 European countries were welcomed.
Like last year, I was present. Me: the first in our generation to provide adults with a semi-biological child. It was the start of a lucrative business when fertility doctors discovered that the techniques used on a pig farm could also be useful for infertile heterosexual couples.
From the 1950s Belgian wombs were being filled with the sperm of unknown men. Fertility techniques improved and not much later they tapped into new target groups: single women and lesbian couples.
Branding unwanted childlessness as discrimination and injustice, several branches of the LGBT community are lobbying for gay men and transgender women to have biological children of their own.
Last Sunday almost everything was on offer: interpreters, gadgets, price lists, different formulas, the dos and the don’ts… But most of all, straight-to-your-heart-and-into-our-wallet sales pitches from companies which are able to connect anyone directly with eggs, surrogacy agencies and lawyers to make “a dream come true”. Lawyers handed out the metaphorical road map with instructions on how to by-pass laws to get your purchased child(ren) “legally” in your own country.
Towards an ethical framework...
Click here to read the article online (be sure that you do): MercatorNet
Read discussion points, recent and previous, on our Blog page and feel free to comment