Welcome To Our Website
As Senior Pastor and on behalf of the family of the First Baptist Church, I want to thank you for visiting our website. At the First Baptist Church, we believe God calls each of us to be engaged in a passionate pursuit of Jesus Christ. There is no higher calling than to seek the Lord with all your heart, and in so doing, to glorify Him. We welcome you to join us in this pursuit. The fact that Jesus died for our sins, was buried, and then rose from the grave is our fundamental belief. He lives today and stands ready to give abundant and eternal life to all those who repent of sin and place their faith in Him. We invite everyone to receive Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord.
What a joy it is to introduce you to our church! At the First Baptist Church, our doors are wide open to people from all backgrounds, regardless of where they are on their spiritual journey.
One of life’s most beautiful words is ‘family’. At the First Baptist Church, we take seriously the Bible’s teaching that Christians are the family of God and therefore brothers and sisters in Christ. As a “family of faith” we seek to worship and serve God, share the good news of the gospel message, and provide the spiritual environment necessary for the believer’s spiritual growth.
In short, you will find us to be a God centered, caring community of individuals who are excited about having the opportunity to extend to you the same love, hope and joy we have received from the Lord. We extend to you a cordial invitation to join us this coming Lord’s Day as the family meets to draw near to God through prayer, thoughtful contemporary songs, traditional hymns and inspiring relevant messages from God’s Word. After the worship service we linger over refreshments, so please take a moment to get to know us better. God bless you.
Sincerely yours in Christ,
Pastor Keith Axford
The sermon from August 2nd. is posted. This sermon, as well as previous sermons, can be played back from the Website.
This Week in Our Church:
- Sunday - Children’s Ministry for ages 2 and up during sermon time. Older children and Youth are invited to attend the Bible Class. The Nursery is available for children under two.
- Tuesday, 6:00 p.m. – Work bee at the new church. Everyone is invited to come and help with the many jobs that can be done by volunteers. More information next page.
- Wednesday, 7:00 p.m. – For July and August the regular Midweek Service will be replaced by Cottage Meetings. There is a schedule in the entry; please sign if you wish to host a meeting. This week Dwight and Carolyn Pritchard have volunteered.
- Thank you to Edward and Marissa for cutting the grass last week.
- Pepper’s Highway Service at Waskatenau has offered us nearly-new bathroom stalls and toilets from their old building – free for the taking. Trucks and trailers are needed to haul them Tuesday night. Please see Larry or Dwight if you can help.
- Nursery: Today – Flora May & Maria.Next Sunday – Donna & Shylha.
- Christian Salvage Mission will now accept Christian cassette and VHS tapes. If you have any to donate, leave them in the CSM box in the entry.
- Wanted: sheets and tablecloths in good condition for our White Cross bandage ministry. They can be white or colored; flat or fitted, cotton or polyester, and may include flanelette.
- A sign-up sheet for cutting grass has been placed in the entry. There is a push mower for cutting here at the church and parking lot, and a riding mower at the new site – or you may prefer to bring your own equipment. You may sign up for either or both places.
- Grass cutters are needed for the Sunrise Community Cemetery. See Dan or Lauretta if you wish to volunteer.
- Wednesday Evenings - 7:00PM - Cottage Meetings during July and August.
- Sunday Mornings - 11:00AM
Children's Ministry - for ages 2-11 during service time. All children welcome to attend. The Nursery is available for children under two.
God With Us
- Latest Sermon
- Prayer Request
- Our Blog
- Our Vision
- Latest News
- Donate Online
- See Us on FaceBook
International Leadership Conference
Delegates from our church attended this profound event in London, England.
What is the Leadership Conference?
Click here to go the Website, listen to the various talks. Look at the list of speakers.
FCSS Smoky Lake
We partner with FCSS Smoky Lake in welcoming newcomers to the community. Anyone wishing to contribute promotional literature and/or gifts from his/her business, please see Michelle.
News from Cheryl and Rod Hoople
Dear Family, friends, and valued ministry partners of Rod and Cheryl Hoople,
Greetings in the strong name of Jesus Christ from the Pacific Coast of Mexico. We are pleased to report that the name of the Lord is being lifted high here, chains of addiction are being broken, orphans arc being cared for; families are being put back together, and the hopeless are finding hope through the Gospel of Jesus.
We are writing today to inform you about some happenings in the life of Rod and Cheryl and to ask you to prayerfully consider coming alongside them in prayer and financial support during this season of their lives. As you know, Rod and Cheryl are the coordinators of YUGO's Recovery Ministry. This ministry offers the world's first completely hi-lingual (English/Spanish) Celebrate Recovery program to be offered anywhere. We are extremely proud of this life giving ministry and consider it to be a vital part of YUGO's vision.
What you may not know is that due to some very serious health issues with Cheryl's mother; the Hoople family has been encouraged by YUGO Leadership to take an extended furlough from their service on the field in Mexico. YUGO Ministries believes very strongly in God's model and plan for the family. With this in mind, we have asked not only Cheryl to stay with her mom, but for Rod to stay in Canada with Cheryl as they walk together through these deep waters with their parents. During this trying time, the ministry in Mexico must continue, and will continue. Under the leadership of Rod and Cheryl, the Recovery Ministry team will carry on all of the tasks involved in keeping this amazing ministry not only surviving but thriving.
We would like to ask for your special consideration in two specific areas. First, we believe that during this time the devil will try to attack the Hoople's finances. Many times, when supporters and partners believe that missionaries are simply "home" they stop sending financial support. We can not let Satan gain a foothold in this area when the truth is that Rod and Cheryl are still working during this time, and actually need more support now due to travel costs and the higher cost of living in Canada. Please pray with us and consider not only continuing your support, but a supplementary gift to help Rod and Cheryl navigate these difficult and trying days.
Second, we believe that during this time the Hoople family could get discouraged. When a person has missions in their blood, the last thing they want is to know that their team is on the field "fighting the good fight," while they are stuck on the home front. We can not let Satan attack Rod and Cheryl in this area. Will you join me in servant prayer on their behalf, and will you make it a point to contact them by way of e-mail, phone call, or social media? As a missionary myself I can tell you that this encouragement is food for a weary soul!
I want to thardcypu for your understanding and your continued partnership with our dear brother and Sister inthriit. For the Kingdom,
Nathan Alpert (For Scott Wester, CEO and the Board of Directors of YUGO Canada) President
Click here to see more about YUGO.
Consolacion Baptist Church in the Philippines
The second floor on the church is nearly finished. What a difference we can make when we reach out to others with our offerings! Click here to see more
- August 15, 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. – Garage Sale at the new church. Please bring your priced items, either in advance or the morning of the sale. We need people to make posters and signs and to help at the sale. See Laura, Val or Sharon.
- August 16, 11:00 a.m. – Worship Service in the new church!
- August 16 after church – Potluck Picnic at the farm of Dennis and Laura Holowaychuk: north on Hwy 855 to Twp Rd 602, west to RR 174, north to the first house on the east side. Barbecues and fire pit available.
- August 23 – Baptism Service at Mons Lake after the Worship Service. Please contact Pastor Keith if you wish to be baptized.
Regularly Scheduled Worship Times:
- Wednesday Evenings - 7:00PM
- Sunday Morning at 11:00 AM, including Sunday School for the children
- By Ross and Val Whitelaw
- Watch for information coming on the Fall sessions.,
Church Family Notices
Do you have furniture or appliances to give away? We have already started a "Free Store" in our new church, with household items that would help needy families and newcomers to the area. Phone one of the Leadership members for access to the store.
A Banquet to raises funds for the new church is being planned for October. Details will a0ppear in the bulletin in the coming months committee has been formed and has already met. Details will appear in the bulletin in the coming months.
A word of caution to our volunteer grass cutters: please clear branches, paper, glass or other debris from the area before cutting.
Quote of the week
'What a time to take the news of the day in one hand and the Bible in the other and watch the unfolding of the great drama of the ages come together. This is an exciting and thrilling time to be alive... It is not just Christians that sense something is about to happen. The world knows that things cannot go on as they are. History has reached an impasse. This world is on a collision course. Something is about to give. With increasing frequency, commentators from secular media speak of Armageddon.' - Billy Graham, The reason for my Hope.
Recent Discussion Points
Cecil The Lion Stirs More Outrage Than Abortion Mogul Cecile The Lyin’
- By Ryan Scott Bomberger
- Wedensday, July 29, 2015
- The Radiance Foundation
- Read the entire article - click here.
Society has a funny way of deciding when to express outrage.
Millions of innocent humans (aka pregnancy tissue) are slaughtered and their fully intact body parts are sold. Crickets.
A single lion, which most have never heard of, gets hunted for sport. International drama.
I despise the thought of big game hunting, but it never ceases to amaze me how rhetorically violent animal rights activists become when these creatures are harmed or killed.
PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) has called for the hunter involved, Dr. Walter Palmer, to be hanged. The puppy-killing, celebrity-studded, publicity-stunt-centered organization epitomizes the insanely hypocritical, progressive approach. The death threats through Yelp and Twitter are repugnant, but unsurprising given their disdain for human life.
Celebrities have tweeted their utter disgust for the wealthy dentist. Debra Messing (Will & Grace, Mysteries of Laura) says: “I want them to take his citizenship away.” Sharon Osbourne hopes that “#WalterPalmer loses his home, his practice & his money. He has already lost his soul…#WalterPalmer is Satan.” Piers Morgan, proving that being a news journalist was never his forte, tweets: “I’d love to go hunting for killer dentist Dr. Walter Palmer, so I can stuff and mount him for MY office wall.”
Jimmy Kimmel even nearly melted down talking about it on his show, having to pull himself together to make it through the segment.
Oh, and look…the Obama administration is now offering its help into the investigation of Palmer’s hunting escapade. According to The Hill: “The Service is deeply concerned about the recent killing of Cecil the Lion.” Wow. That was quick.
Planned Parenthood’s baby-parts-trafficking elicits nothing but support from the Obama administration. But kill a lion halfway across the world, in a nation riddled with grotesque human rights abuses, and the administration is on it! (Well, on the abuses to lions, not to Zimbabweans). Cecil the Lion’s death warrants outrage from the political left, but their darling abortion mogul–Cecile The Lyin’–can do no act heinous enough (like selling “unwanted” babies’ wanted organs), no Medicaid fraud egregious enough, no teen sex education misleading enough to stir a moment of discomfort for liberals.
Read the entire article - click here.
Read discussion points, recent and previous, on our Blog page and feel free to comment
You can give a one-time or a recurring gift to First Baptist Church from this website using the services of CanadaHelps.org, just click on the icon directly below: