Welcome To Our Website
As Senior Pastor and on behalf of the family of the First Baptist Church, I want to thank you for visiting our website. At the First Baptist Church, we believe God calls each of us to be engaged in a passionate pursuit of Jesus Christ. There is no higher calling than to seek the Lord with all your heart, and in so doing, to glorify Him. We welcome you to join us in this pursuit. The fact that Jesus died for our sins, was buried, and then rose from the grave is our fundamental belief. He lives today and stands ready to give abundant and eternal life to all those who repent of sin and place their faith in Him. We invite everyone to receive Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord.
What a joy it is to introduce you to our church! At the First Baptist Church, our doors are wide open to people from all backgrounds, regardless of where they are on their spiritual journey.
One of life’s most beautiful words is ‘family’. At the First Baptist Church, we take seriously the Bible’s teaching that Christians are the family of God and therefore brothers and sisters in Christ. As a “family of faith” we seek to worship and serve God, share the good news of the gospel message, and provide the spiritual environment necessary for the believer’s spiritual growth.
In short, you will find us to be a God centered, caring community of individuals who are excited about having the opportunity to extend to you the same love, hope and joy we have received from the Lord. We extend to you a cordial invitation to join us this coming Lord’s Day as the family meets to draw near to God through prayer, thoughtful contemporary songs, traditional hymns and inspiring relevant messages from God’s Word. After the worship service we linger over refreshments, so please take a moment to get to know us better. God bless you.
Sincerely yours in Christ,
Pastor Keith Axford
The sermon from November 29th is posted. This sermon, as well as previous sermons, can be played back from the Website.
This Week in Our Church:
- Sunday – Children’s Church for ages 2 and up during sermon time. The Nursery is available for children under two.
- Wednesday, 7:00 p.m. – Midweek Service: Praise and Worship, Bible Study and Prayer. Please come and join us.
- Thursday, 6:30 p.m. – “Alpha” course at the Whitelaws’ home. Phone Ross or Val at 780 656 3532.
Please also Note:
- The Dec/Jan/Feb issue of Our Daily Bread is in the entry. Help yourself to a copy.
- The November newsletters from our missionaries – Calvin and Susanne Hohn and Yuri Nakano – are posted on the notice board.
- The winter issue of The Mustard Seed News is available in the entry. Feel free to take a copy.
- Smoky Lake Food Bank – Today if you brought canned fruit and vegetables (or any other item), please leave them in the box downstairs on the table by the coffee pot. Next Sunday - canned meat and fish. Also needed are small juice boxes, peanut butter, jam and pancake mix. (No soup or pasta needed at present.)
Samaritan’s Purse Shoebox Gifts may still be given by ordering online @ PackaBox.ca. ...
- Wednesday Evenings - 7:00PM
- Sunday Mornings - 11:00AM
Children's Ministry - for ages 2-11 during service time. All children welcome to attend. The Nursery is available for children under two.
- Latest Sermon
- Prayer Request
- Our Blog
- Our Vision
- Latest News
- Donate Online
- See Us on FaceBook
Fund Raising Dinner for our New Church Building
October 24, 2015
Thanks to all the volunteers who made this event a success. Thanks to people within the community and outside the community who attended. Many thanks to the "Lost and Found" quartet.
There were two video presentations shown at the event. Click here to go to a page allowing you to view them.
- Our Old Church - a view of our current building with a few video clips of a Sunday morning and pictures of the clutter and lack of space
- Our New Church - Our vision for the future
- A third video about Our Sunday School was presented and is available by special order to congregation functions.
FCSS Smoky Lake
We partner with FCSS Smoky Lake in welcoming newcomers to the community. Anyone wishing to contribute promotional literature and/or gifts from his/her business, please see Michelle.
News from Cheryl and Rod Hoople
Changing one person at a time!
Many of “Our Girls” on the inside are murderers, kidnappers, prostitutes, drug-addicts and much more. They have lived on the edge of humanity, always one step away from rejection. Jesus gladly associated with sinners because He loved them and He knew they needed to hear what He had to say. By bringing the Good News, through the Celebrate Recovery program, to “Our Girls” on the inside, we see God changing lives one person at a time, healing them emotionally, physically and mentally.
Many have turned to Jesus and asked Him to forgive their sins so they can become Christ-like filled with love, humility, truth and service. Not only does the CR program lead people to a relationship with Jesus Christ, it also instructs them how to clean up their behaviors.
On July 27
th seven of “Our Girls” on the inside found the strength to take the next step in their walk with Jesus by being baptized. The baptism event was spectacular. Check on the link below to observe for yourself. For security reasons please do not post on social media sites.
2015 Recovery Ministry Promo Video
During our first couple weeks back in Mexico, International gospel singer Nancy Unsworth, her family, my cousin Rae-Ann and her son Aiden joined us for ten exciting days of ministry. Our time together was jam packed with ministry opportunities. God uses people with simple faith to accomplish his great purposes, no matter what kind of past they have had. Rae-Ann and Nancy did not allow their pasts to keep them from the new roles God had assigned them. Both shared their powerful stories of God’s redemptive love in their lives at various ministry sites.
We need your prayers. Churches and Correctional Institutes are seeking the Celebrate Recovery program. Pray God send us more facilitators and leaders to carry the program across Mexico. We have VISION beyond our resources. Would you pray about becoming a financial partner with the Recovery Ministry? Pray for more monthly supporters for the Recovery Ministry (we have raised 40% of our monthly budget).
Rod and I are so grateful for each of you, our ministry partners. None of the ministry we take part in could happen without your help. Your prayers, words of encouragement and financial gifts have kept us on the field doing what God has called us to do. Your job is as important as ours. He may have called us to go, but He has called you to be our senders.
In His Service,
Rod & Cheryl
Click here to see more about YUGO.
Consolacion Baptist Church in the Philippines
The second floor on the church is nearly finished. What a difference we can make when we reach out to others with our offerings! Click here to see more
You can give a one-time or a recurring gift to First Baptist Church from this website using the services of CanadaHelps.org or PayPal, just click on your choice of icon directly below:
- This Sunday, starting @ 5:00 p.m. – A Christmas convoy led by the fire truck will be rolling through Smoky Lake neighborhoods to collect non-perishable food items and new, unwrapped toys. Donations may be brought out to the convoy or left on your front step for pickup. See poster in entrance for more information.
- Next Sunday, 11:00 a.m. – Sunday School Christmas Program followed by our annual Church Family Christmas Dinner. Please sign up for a food item to bring to the dinner. See list in entrance, also menu on back page.
- December 13, 2:30 p.m. – WMF Christmas potluck at Lauretta’s. All ladies welcome. Please bring a card for your SPP. Also an item you already have around home for the Chinese Gift Exchange.
- December 15: 5:30 p.m. – Caroling in Smoky Lake – men and ladies are all welcome to participate. More details to follow.
- December 24, 6:00 p.m. – Christmas Eve Service
- January 29-31, 2016 – Break Forth Canada at the Shaw Conference Center in Edmonton. A fantastic line-up of speakers, teachers, classes, artists, festivals and worship leaders. See literature and poster in entry.
Regularly Scheduled Worship Times:
- Wednesday Evenings - 7:00PM
- Sunday Morning at 11:00 AM, including Sunday School for the children
- By Ross and Val Whitelaw.,
Church Family Notices
- Items to Give Away
The items below have been donated for giving to anyone who needs them. They are available to the church family
and to the community at large. To view and/or obtain an item(s), contact one of the Leadership Team members.
1 blue swivel rocker
1 beige love seat with brown stripes
1 blue floral sofa
1 black corner TV stand
1 light oak headboard and night stand
1 brown wooden table
1 blue love seat
1 blue recliner
1 brown sofa with 2 decorator cushions
1 red night stand with white arborite top
1 wooden rocking chair
4 wooden chairs
1 coffee table
1 pink swivel rocker
1 brown recliner
2 4-wheel walkers
2i roning boards
2 metal bed frames
1 flat-screen TV
1 stand for VHS tapes
1 matching set - dresser and chest of drawers
Quote of the week
"I lived through the McCarthy era and the Hollywood witch hunts and, abominable as these were, there was not the insidious sense of intellectual intimidation that currently exists under political correctness."
- Nicholas A. Cummings Ph.D. former President, American Psychological Association
Recent Discussion Points
Cecil The Lion Stirs More Outrage Than Abortion Mogul Cecile The Lyin’
- By Ryan Scott Bomberger
- Wedensday, July 29, 2015
- The Radiance Foundation
- Read the entire article - click here.
Society has a funny way of deciding when to express outrage.
Millions of innocent humans (aka pregnancy tissue) are slaughtered and their fully intact body parts are sold. Crickets.
A single lion, which most have never heard of, gets hunted for sport. International drama.
I despise the thought of big game hunting, but it never ceases to amaze me how rhetorically violent animal rights activists become when these creatures are harmed or killed.
PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) has called for the hunter involved, Dr. Walter Palmer, to be hanged. The puppy-killing, celebrity-studded, publicity-stunt-centered organization epitomizes the insanely hypocritical, progressive approach. The death threats through Yelp and Twitter are repugnant, but unsurprising given their disdain for human life.
Celebrities have tweeted their utter disgust for the wealthy dentist. Debra Messing (Will & Grace, Mysteries of Laura) says: “I want them to take his citizenship away.” Sharon Osbourne hopes that “#WalterPalmer loses his home, his practice & his money. He has already lost his soul…#WalterPalmer is Satan.” Piers Morgan, proving that being a news journalist was never his forte, tweets: “I’d love to go hunting for killer dentist Dr. Walter Palmer, so I can stuff and mount him for MY office wall.”
Jimmy Kimmel even nearly melted down talking about it on his show, having to pull himself together to make it through the segment.
Oh, and look…the Obama administration is now offering its help into the investigation of Palmer’s hunting escapade. According to The Hill: “The Service is deeply concerned about the recent killing of Cecil the Lion.” Wow. That was quick.
Planned Parenthood’s baby-parts-trafficking elicits nothing but support from the Obama administration. But kill a lion halfway across the world, in a nation riddled with grotesque human rights abuses, and the administration is on it! (Well, on the abuses to lions, not to Zimbabweans). Cecil the Lion’s death warrants outrage from the political left, but their darling abortion mogul–Cecile The Lyin’–can do no act heinous enough (like selling “unwanted” babies’ wanted organs), no Medicaid fraud egregious enough, no teen sex education misleading enough to stir a moment of discomfort for liberals.
Read the entire article - click here.
Read discussion points, recent and previous, on our Blog page and feel free to comment